I know in the recent days everyones lives have turned upside down. I am sure you have all heard of the coronavirus by now and have developed your own opinions on it. I am not writing to educate anyone on my thoughts, rather I am here to pass along some helpful tips in regards to a change in your office scenery.
It has been recommended that all workers who can work from home do so. It is one of the ways we can flatten this exponential COVID curve. I say flatten, because by no means will we “beat” this virus by doing this, but we can aid our health care systems by limiting the volume of patients needing critical care.
Anyways, working from home.
This is new to me, and I assume it is new to some of you in the same situation. So I am here to share with you a few tips I have implemented over these past few days to attempt to keep a normal work routine:
- Start and stop work at your normal times. If you normally start at 9, don’t start earlier just because you walk out of your bedroom and your laptop is right there ready to go. Do your normal morning routine and then begin work when it is the time to do so.
- Get ready! A lot of people associate with working from home to working in pjs all day. Like by all means do that if you want, but I find I am more productive and motivated if I at least change into something different than my pjs! haha I am not saying you have to wear a suit (or even a bra ….) but get out of those pjs!
- Take breaks! If you normally take a lunch break or breaks throughout they day, still take them! You are allowed too.
- Do not work in your bed. Whatever you do, do not work in your bed or even your couch. Designate a work area in your home if you don’t already have an office space. This way, at 5pm when work is done you can still “leave the office”.
It is 100% a different feeling working from home and trying to be as productive as you are at the office, which is why I implement those things mentioned above. I find it really helps to keep me on track. I like to start work at 7-7:30 am because I know myself and I am more productive in the morning hours. Towards the afternoon I lose focus and my mind drifts off thinking about a million different personal things.
I hope these tips help and if you have any other tips to make this transition easier please leave them below. We all need to come together in this time of difficulty.
If anything at all:
- Keep current with the news and the recommendations put in place
- Wash your hands (like I assumed we were all doing before)
- Be kind to everyone – we have no idea what any individual is going through
- Practice social distancing
- Please self isolate if you have any symtpoms, if you recently travelled, or if you’ve come into contact with anyone who has recently travelled
The point of the guidelines are not to scare people, but to keep us strong and bring everyone together! We got this – just have to stay strong for as long as it takes.
I sincerely hope you are all doing well and trying to keep positive spirits. Please feel free to contact me via email@example.com if you feel like you need/want to talk or have any questions.
Also, I will be coming out with a few new Nugget posts in the near future … full days at home with her are a cause for stories let me tell ya!